Maine is a coastal state that is known for its lobster and stunning ocean views. Whale watching is a popular tourist activity in Maine, and there are several great spots to see whales. These spots offer the best chance of seeing humpback whales, fin whales, and other marine life.
For an unforgettable whale watching experience in Maine, make sure to choose the right hotel or beach resort. Our guide to the best Wells Beach Maine hotels can help you find the perfect place to stay.
Are you looking for an amazing Maine whale-watching experience?
Maine has some of the best spots for whale watching. In this blog post, we’ll tell you where to find them. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced whale watcher, these spots will not disappoint. Expect to see humpback whales, Minke whales, the large fin whales, etc, when you take a trip.
So pack your bags and get ready for an adventure.
You won’t want to miss out on this incredible experience. Whale watching is a must-do activity for any nature lover. Start looking!
Here are some Fascinating facts about Whales:
- Whales are the largest mammals on Earth.
- They can weigh up to 50 tons and be as long as 100 feet.
- There are about 40 different kinds of whales.
- These bristles are used for filter feeding.
- Toothed whales have cone-shaped teeth that they use for catching fish and squid.
- Most toothed whales are predators, while most baleen whales are filter feeders. Blue whales are endangered, while sperm whales are not.
Here are the Top 6 Famous Tourist Spots for Whale Watching:
1. Boothbay Harbor
Located in midcoast Maine, Boothbay Harbor is a popular summer destination for tourists from all over New England. The town offers a lively downtown area with shops, restaurants, and various outdoor activities.
Visitors can take a boat tour of the harbor, go whale watching, or hike one of the many trails in the area. There are also numerous beaches nearby where people can relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Kennebunkport is a historic town on the Maine coast that is known for its picturesque setting and its role as a summer destination for tourists. Visitors to Kennebunkport can enjoy exploring the town’s many shops and restaurants or taking a boat ride to see the beautiful coastline.
The view from Kennebunkport is a great spot if you are hoping ot see some blue whales.There are also several historical sites to visit, including the Kennebunkport Museum and the William Gray Estate. Kennebunkport is an ideal place to relax and enjoy the outdoors, with plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, swimming and whale watching
Get Exclusive News & Offers
3. Bar Harbor
From a different perspective, you will experience the pleasure of whale watching from Bar Harbor. You will probably be able to see the majestic whales if you visit this location between mid-May and October. However, if you travel by late June, your chances of enjoying whale-watching at this location will increase. The Abbe Museum, the Acadia National Park administrative offices, and the Mount Desert Oceanarium are just a few of the historical landmarks and museums that also can be found in Bar Harbor. Narrow gauge railroads are available from Ellsworth to Bar Harbor and Bangor to Brewer.
The town is best known as a summer vacation destination with its rocky coastline, quaint shops, and various outdoor activities.
Bar Harbor is a beautiful town located on the coast of Maine. It is a popular tourist destination.Visitors can take a boat tour to see the sights of Acadia National Park, go whale watching, or hike one of the many trails in the area.
Rockland is one of the best spots in the world to see a whale. Each year, thousands of visitors come to Rockland to see these magnificent creatures up close. There are a number of different ways to see whales in Rockland. One of the most popular methods is to take a whale watching tour.
During the tour, you will have the opportunity to see whales feeding, playing, and socializing. Another great way to see whales is to kayak or paddle board around the harbor. Whales are truly amazing creatures, and there is no better place to see them than Rockland.
How to choose the right whale-watching tour for you?
1. Consider the size of the group. Some tours only accommodate a small number of people, while others take up to 100 passengers. If you’re looking for a more intimate experience, go with a smaller group. However, if you don’t mind being surrounded by strangers, a larger tour might be just fine.
2. Think about the length of the tour. Most whale-watching tours last between 2 and 3 hours. But if you’re short on time, there are also shorter tours available that last around 1 hour.
3. Consider the price. Whale-watching tours range in price from around $50 per person to over $100 per person. Keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for; the more expensive tours tend to be longer and include more amenities like food and drink.
What you can expect on a whale-watching tour
A whale-watching tour is a great way to see these amazing creatures in their natural habitat. There are a few things you can expect on a tour. First, the tour will likely take place on a boat. The boat will head out to an area where whales are known to live or feed. Once the boat is in the whale’s territory, the guide will look for signs of whales, such as blows from their blowholes or breaching.
If a whale is spotted, the boat will approach it so that everyone on board can get a good look. The guide will provide information about the whale, such as its species and age. Tours typically last 2-3 hours, although it is possible to see whales within a shorter time frame.
Why choose Anchor Inn & Cottages as your Hotel vacation?
Anchor Inn & Cottages is a family-friendly hotel located in the heart of,Southern Maine. We are just stepping away from the harbor, shopping, and restaurants. Our rooms are spacious and comfortable, and our cottages offer a kitchenette and living room for added space. We also have an outdoor pool for our guests to enjoy.
We also have a number of amenities that will make your stay more comfortable, including
- On-site restaurant
- Heated pool
- Complimentary breakfast
- And our cottages are the perfect place to relax after a long day of whale watching.
So come and join us for an unforgettable vacation!
Contact us +1 (207) 579-1372
Tips for spotting whales
- Whales often stay underwater for long periods of time, so it is important to be patient and watch for telltale signs of their presence, such as fins or spouts.
- Look for groups of seabirds. Whales often swim near the surface of the water, so they tend to disturb the birds as they move through the area.
- Keep an eye out for telltale signs of whale activity, such as blowholes spraying water into the air or tail flukes emerging from the water.
- If you see something that you think might be a whale, use binoculars or a telescope to get a better look
Q. What is the best time of year to go whale watching in Maine?
A. Whale watching season in Maine runs from May to mctober, with the peak months being July and August. During these months, the waters off Maine’s coast are teeming with life, making it the perfect time to go whale watching.
Q. What should you bring with you on a whale watching tour?
A. There are a few things you should bring with you on a whale watching tour. First, dress in layers to stay warm. The weather can be unpredictable, and it is always better to be too warm than too cold. Bring sunscreen and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun’s rays. Finally, don’t forget your camera; Whale watching is an experience you’ll want to remember.
Q. Are there any dangers associated with whale watching in Maine?
A. There are no dangers associated with whale watching in Maine. However, it is always important to follow the instructions of your tour guide and be aware of your surroundings.
Q. Can i play golf afterwards?
A. Sure there is golf nearby!
Maine is the place to be if you’re looking for a truly awe-inspiring whale-watching experience. With its rocky coast and abundance of whales, Maine offers some of the best whale watching in the country.
We hope this guide has helped you plan your whale-watching vacation. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We would be happy to help you plan the perfect trip. Happy whale watching!